First and foremost thank you for taking the time to read this page. We are a family owned and operated company that plasters our last name all over our olive oil. We take the quality of our product very seriously. We know there is a lot of bad press about what some olive oil companies do to their olive oil. We want to be 100% transparent with all of our customers in what they are ordering when they buy from Kasandrinos International. We created this page to show you a few of the things that set us apart from all the others.
- Ultra Premium - we guarantee our oleic acidity levels are less than 0.3% (current batch = 0.23%).
- Premium Olives - we only use one type of organic olive, the Koroneiki olive.
- It is recognized as one of the preferred varieties for olive oil. They contain very high levels of polyphenols, the natural antioxidants found in plants that may reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer.
- Single Origin - all of our olives are harvested within a 50km radius from our press in Lakonia, Greece.
- Transparency - third party testing done on every harvest of olive oil.
- Ultra Freshness - we only offer this years harvest to maintain quality.
- One Organic Ingredient. 100% Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Cold Pressed Extraction - this retains the beneficial properties of the food.
- USDA Organic, Paleo Certified, Kosher, Non GMO Verified, PGI Certified, Regionally Certified.
First, what is the Extra Virgin threshold?
Extra Virgin is the highest quality and most expensive olive oil classification. It should have no defects and a flavor of fresh olives.
In chemical terms Extra Virgin olive oil is described as having a free acidity, expressed as oleic acid, of not more than 0.8 grams/100 grams and a peroxide value of less than 20 milliequivalent O2. Ours is much lower than .8. It must be produced entirely by mechanical means without the use of any solvents, and under temperatures that will not degrade the oil (less than 86°F, 30°C).
For an olive oil to qualify as "Extra Virgin" the oil must pass both an official chemical test in a laboratory and a sensory evaluation by a trained panel recognized by the (IOC) International Olive Council. The oil must be found to be free from defects while exhibiting some fruitiness.
EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
1. Has zero taste defects
Your olive oil isn’t fusty, musty or rancid, doesn’t have muddy sediment, and doesn’t have a vinegary taste.
2. Has positive taste/aroma
This includes flavors of olive, apple, grass or tomato, or flavors described as green, sweet or nutty. All of these are considered to make for a great-tasting olive oil.
3. Has an acidity level of less than 0.8%.
High acidity results from pest damage and letting olives sit between picking and pressing. (Our olives are pressed no later than 48 hours after coming off the tree. All else equal, the lower the acidity, the better the olive oil. Kasandrinos Extra Virgin Olive Oil always has an acidity level below 0.3% at time of bottling, typically much lower and well below the requirements even for extra virgin olive oil.
4. Meets stringent requirements in arcane technical properties.
These range from peroxide levels to absorbency of ultraviolet rays, from fatty acid content to desmethylsterol composition, from total sterol content to stigmastadiene content, from wax content to content of 2-glyceryl monopalmitate.
What tests do Chemical Analysis provide?
- Free Fatty Acid content (a.k.a. "Free Acidity")
- Peroxide Value
- Absorbency in Ultraviolet (UV); includes: K232, K270 and
- Delta K
- Total Phenol
- Specific polyphenols: Oleuropein and Hydroxytyrosol
- Fatty Acid Composition
- Pyropheophytin (a.k.a. PPPs)
- Diacylglycerol (DAGs)
- Sensory Analysis
All olive oil from Kasandrinos International from every batch of Greek organic extra virgin olive oil is sent for a third party Chemical Analysis at Agbiolab in the USA and done in Greece at ￼OLITECNResearch and Analysis Laboratory. All documents are attached.
2017 Fall/Winter Harvest Chemical Analysis
The aforementioned regulations define that organic farming advances the production of quality products without chemicals, the development of environment friendly techniques guaranteeing the lack of synthetic fertilizers and pesticides, as well as the implementation of cultivation methods replacing and maintaining the soil’s fertility.
Under the same regulations, authorized organizations proceed to compulsory controls throughout the stages of the organic product that is to say during its production, standardization, identification and its trade. These organic products shall maintain the quality of organic only when the tests’ results comply with the determined specifications.
With respect to the consumers, the great advantage of certified organic products market is that these products are free of substances’ residuals that are used for the protection of the plants, since the use and detection of agro-chemical substances is prohibited.